Preparing Nursing Students for Success: Tips for the first year
Are you expecting to earn straight A’s by studying in the same manner as you did for Anatomy? Have you earned adequate grades with minimal effort in previous classes? Perhaps you are working full-time with three kids at home and may be underprepared for the required nursing coursework? There are many obstacles a nursing student can encounter and several ways we can you adapt. Here are some of my best tips for supporting a nursing student through their first year.
- Remediation is a valuable opportunity |applying the effort to understand the error typically results in excellent comprehension. Build your baseline knowledge early.
- Make study time matter | Consolidate notes to better understand the topics
- Clinicals | application of course work.
- Accept that nursing school is hard work | Celebrate small successes
- Attend study groups – or host your own